- Calories: 337 per 100g duck
- Protein: 19g per 100g duck
- Fat: 28g per 100g duck
- Carbs: 0g per 100g duck
- One 4-6lb duck
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional: hoisin sauce, to taste
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Remove giblets and neck from duck cavity, and reserve for making stock. Cut off excess fat from duck cavity. Place duck on a rack in a deep roasting pan, breast-side up, and season with salt and pepper. Then slide the pan into the oven and cook, undisturbed, for 2 hours.
- Remove duck from oven, and use the point of a sharp knife to prick the skin of the bird, all over the breasts and thighs. Return the bird to the oven, and cook for 1 to 2 more hours, or until an meat thermometer inserted into the thigh measures around 300°F/ 155°C.
- Increase oven temperature to 450°F/ 232°C, and cook until the duck is golden and crisp, 15 to 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove the roasting pan from the oven, and transfer the duck to a cutting board.
- Let the fat in the pan cool, then store it, covered, in the refrigerator. It is excellent cooking fat. Allow the duck to rest for a few minutes, then shred it, using two forks to pull the meat apart. Add your favourite hoisin sauce, to taste.
- Serve and enjoy.
Looking for More Carnivore Recipes
Check out our comprehensive library of carnivore diet recipes for tasty animal based dishes. If you have your own recipe, consider adding it.